Did you ever try to read the user guide for an appliance and find that it wasn’t very helpful? Perhaps it was written in English but not very good English. Perhaps the English was good but it didn’t answer your question. Or perhaps there was no user guide at all, just a document with warnings such as “Do not use this appliance in the bathtub.” Saiff Solutions can help. If the company that makes the appliance hired us, you would instead be using a well-written, helpful guide that clearly shows you how to do what you want to do with the appliance.
Saiff Solutions can develop excellent product documentation for any kind of product. Whether it’s a toothbrush or a DVD player, a surveying tool or a tire jack, clear documentation can make the difference between effective use and complete failure for the user.
Excellent product documentation clearly answers questions such as:
- What can I do with this product?
- How will using this product benefit me?
- How do I do what I want to do with this product?
- How do I tell if this product is working correctly?
- How do I tell if this product is not working correctly, and exactly what is wrong?
- What should I do if this product is not working correctly?
- What are the limitations of this product?
- What else can I do with this product?
- Why is this product a better solution?
- How can I upgrade or update this product, and why should I do so?
- What maintenance is required for this product, and how do I perform that maintenance?
- How do I install or uninstall this product?
- Are there special considerations for moving this product?
In order to create excellent product documentation, the technical writers at Saiff Solutions will need to answer questions such as:
- What types of people, in what types of roles, will use this product? For example, will managers in restaurants use the product, or cashiers in grocery stores?
- In what contexts will people use this product? For example, will home chefs use the product in their kitchens, or will landscape architects use the product in their offices to design large outdoor spaces?
Blog Tag Cloud
Latest Blog Posts
All Blog Posts
Recent Blog Comments
Latest Facebook Posts
Saiff Solutions In The Media
Testimonials“Barry [Saiff] has extensive experience both as a manager of technical writers and as a writer. As a manager, he is fair, encourages innovation, and is open to divergent points of view. As a writer, he can grasp very complex concepts and explain those concepts to end user through administrator audiences. Additionally, he has expert knowledge of all components of the documentation process, including corporate style guides, editing, writing, working with localization, and production. Barry is very much a people person and wherever he goes, he cultivates a large network of friendly yet professional relationships. He’s worked successfully with both on-site subject matter experts as well as those across the world. During my time working with Barry, he’s run a number of successful efforts to improve the usability of documentation. In one such case, he recruited a cross-functional team to overhaul the documentation based on the recommendations of this user-facing group of subject matter experts.”
Principal Technical Writer, Symantec
December 16, 2010
Read more testimonials here.